When you consider the fact that termites cost homeowners and businesses billions of dollars in damages every year, it’s no surprise that of all the pests that can cause an infestation, termites are undoubtedly the most notorious. Yet, many of you still don’t know much about these tiny insects or what needs to be done after you discover them colonising in your house.
The truth is, there is no single method of treatment that is better than others because, at the end of the day, it all boils down to the kind of infestation you have. You also need to determine how aged and large the infestation is, what kind of termites are present and how vulnerable your house is to an infestation. All these factors need to be taken into consideration while deciding on the best treatment options.
But to understand the best methods of treatment, you need to learn a bit more about termites.
First and foremost, these organisms reproduce continuously, and with time, their colony grows larger and larger. Precisely for this reason, older termite colonies can cause much more extensive damage and more often than not, will require different methods of treatment along with repairing of the affected wood.
If you have an infestation in your house that’s somewhat new; spot treatment can be a good option. In this method, just the area which has been affected is treated and can easily be done by homeowners. If your house or office has been infested by termites over a considerable period of time, the best way to treat them will be to conduct a thorough fumigation. Needless to say, this is something that should only be done by professionals.
One of the best methods of termite, treatment available these days is solid prevention which is also known as termite pre-treatment. Although this can be achieved through different methods, the main ones are the following:-
- Keep firewood, mulch and deadfall out of your yard and away from your foundation as much as possible.
- Control any water leaks near or inside your home immediately since moist, damp wood is something which these organisms crave
- If you have landscape plants near or around your home, keep them pruned. Never leave dead branches on trees or shrubs.
The basic gist of all these things is not to give these organisms any chance to be anywhere near your home even if they are just gnawing their way through a dead branch.
Now let’s take a look at the different termite treatment options available these days:-
- Liquid termite treatment: In this method, holes are drilled into foundation or wood through spot treatment, and a fluid is injected in the infested area.
- Termite bait system: In this system, a bait system is placed consisting of a piece of wood or paper around the foundation of the house.
- Tenting or fumigation: This is undoubtedly the most thorough termite eradication, but it’s also true that it has a downside. If you employ this method, you and your family will not only have to evacuate the house but also cover or remove food and medications.
It’s always advisable to hire the most renowned companies offering these kinds of services because more often than not, you can easily get charged an exorbitant amount without getting the desired quality of services.